Post 3 of Pinterest Project!

I had painted a couple of coats of antique white paint and primer on the table and then turned my focus to the chairs. The first step was to remove the cushions for ease of painting. Sounded pretty easy. Hell. No. I suddenly remembered some 4-5 years ago when Tyler and I put the cushions on the chairs during assembly, that we had stripped the screws. Plan B: tape around the cushions. I was painting along when I realize that Abby had a pretty fair amount of paint on the cushion. It was also at that same time that both girls decided to bail on me. One of the girls took to dancing in the living room and the other simply disappeared. Figures. Mom's on her own. I painstakingly finished the first coat of paint. It was a bitch... I mean awful. There was no easy way to apply the paint and my every brush stroke showed. I'm no perfectionist but it made me crazy!

I know you are probably thinking that painting with spray paint might've been faster and a little easier but it would've taken at least two cans per chair to get the coverage I wanted and I wasn't going to dole out the extra money when I had perfectly good paint available already.



After walking away from this project numerous times, my husband finally told me it had to be finished because he was tired of looking at the mess and frankly, so was I. The girls bailed on me mid-stroke on the second coat of paint on the chairs to play outside with their friends. Who could blame them? This was a hot mess.

I sat on my butt in my dining room floor banging my heels against the hardwood and gritting my teeth in frustration. In the midst of my fit, I touched my foot to the paint can lid. AWESOME. At one point, I seriously thought about crying. The paint was going on thick and no matter what I did to remedy it, it ran. I was over it but finally "finished".
 

 
While the chairs spent time drying, Tyler helped me get the dining room back in order. I gently patted a little fingernail polish remover on the stray paint spatters I found on the hardwood. We laid down a new area rug and put the table back in it's spot. Once the chairs were dry to touch, they were situated back in their spots.
 
Here is the final project! Don't look closely...and if you do, don't mention the imperfections. I've killed people for less. :)


Comments

Popular Posts