No. Not doing it.

O.M.G. I'm so tired. My mind is already on the laundry list of things that need to get done when I get home. Dishes. Laundry. Putting things away. Making dinner. And Lord knows, something is always littering the floors and hallway. 
Pick up your clothes. Stop arguing. No we cannot get a snack on the way home! Please eat your dinner. No. Take your cup to the kitchen. Keep your hands to yourself.  No. It's time for your bath. Brush your teeth. Stop. That's enough! It's time for bed!

I can hear Tyler now telling me to make the girls help out. 'Who's the adult here?' He's right. They should (and typically do) have responsibilities. But when I think of how they will whine, moan and avoid/ignore me, I cringe. Honestly, some days it's just not worth the headache.  I acknowledge that by allowing the kids to slack on their chores that I might be giving them the idea that they don't have to contribute. In fact, I'm sure that they are already catching on to it too but frankly, I don't even have the energy to care most days. It is far less stressful for me to just do something myself than have to argue and fuss and fight with the girls. Besides, I don't want to be one of those parents who spends all their time yelling at their children and who inadvertently turns them into little screamers too. And what kind of message do I send to my girls by yelling all.the.time.  It's just a battle that I choose not to fight.

Is that the right thing to do? Probably not, but becoming a parent has been one of the hardest adjustments that I've ever had to make. I assumed that when I had children of my own that I'd be in control at all times. I would run a tight ship and my kids would love and respect me for it but I get tired. I get distracted. I get lazy. And when those things happen, I'd just rather not add to my frustration by screaming.

Comments

Popular Posts