Bliss!

I'm way too giddy so I must share! I'm sitting here in the spare room of my house after just finishing something that I've wanted to accomplish since I was little. My mom and dad got me a sewing machine just a few days ago for Christmas and I had been itching to set it up. And well... I just sewed for the very first time ever.



After clearing off my desk and rearranging things in the small space, I finally got the machine out of the box. I just knew that it would be so complicated that I would struggle and end up quitting but it wasn't like that at all. The bobbin was already threaded but I went ahead and threaded another for practice and also threaded the top side of the machine. Then I got the itch.. I dug around my house until I found some fabric that I could practice on. All I could come up with was a few scraps of upholstery material from a failed Pinterest project (go figure). I slid the material under the needle and pressed the peddle while praying for a miracle. I was so surprised when the machine sucked the fabric through and a perfect white stitch was left behind. J.O.Y.! As strange as it sounds, it was exhilarating! I immediately ran to the living room to show Tyler and the girls my very first attempt at sewing! They were supportive and encouraging but I didn't even need their sweet words, really. I could've just sewed a giant turd and I would've been dying to get at it again.

I took to the spare room again for more fun. I laid more remnants of fabric down and traced a make-shift pattern before cutting it out. I didn't really have a plan but I knew it couldn't be difficult. I sat in my little space listening to music on the Harleigh's iPod and singing way too loudly. Pinning. Ironing. Sewing all the seams. I was in the zone and completely in love with what I was doing. It really didn't turn out half bad. My edges were a little rough but overall I loved working with my new sewing machine. The girls and poor Tyler will probably unfortunately be receiving many more homemade gifts. Can't wait to begin my next project!!!!

My pattern...
The finished product!

P.S. I can joke all I want... but I seriously have wanted to learn how to sew since I was a little girl. I'm one step closer to Becoming Betty. This has really just made me soooo happy today! :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts