Am I Cheap?

My husband calls me cheap when I skimp on his products. He likes the fluffy toilet paper and the high-priced laundry detergent. These are probably the only two purchases I agree with him on buying name brand. He's always telling me, "you get what you pay for" and in some cases that is very true.

Dollar Tree is a sickness for the women in my family. Tyler thinks it's a waste, however there are a few things you can shop for and get real savings on. Let me share my favorites!

Dollar Tree Finds
  1. Batteries: My #1 purchased item from the Dollar Tree. Although name brand batteries say they last longer than most, I don't find that the cost is worth it. They're great for remotes and gadgets that don't require a lot of power. I'll snatch up a few packages every time I go.
  2. Gift bags: When I'm putting together a gift for someone, I always purchase my finishing touches at DT. You can't beat tissue paper and gift bags for $1.  Plus, they usually have a cute assortment of designs and if they don't, embellish with stickers from the craft section!
  3. OTC pain medications: Although Wal-Mart offers some sizes of off-brand pain relievers for $.88, you can save yourself time by buying generic pain relievers at DT for $1.
  4. Household cleaners: I can't vouch for all brands they have available but powder Comet and Mean Green all purpose cleaner are used regularly in my house on bathtubs, counters, and most other non-porous surfaces. Bleach and glass cleaners are must haves too.
  5. Storage bins: I'm not talking about large storage containers, I mean the small ones. I use them to organize my laundry room and under the bathroom sink.
  6. Tape: During the Christmas season I always stock up!
  7. Paper plates/cups: I try and keep these on hand for lunches and snacks for the kids. Since I'm not a huge fan of doing dishes, I'll usually pick up a pack or two.
  8. Seasonal Crap: I say crap because it's just that. It looks cute in your yard or adorning your walls, but once the holiday is over, they can be a real pain to store. I'm guilty of decorating simply for a season and throwing away items that look like they won't last another season. You're out very little cash and afterward, no huge loss to pitch.
  9. Activity books: My kids LOVE the activity books you can find based on grade level and I don't mind allowing them to stock up!
  10. Manicure sets: Someone is always looking for a pair of fingernail clippers at my house so I buy extras and keep them at my desk at work too.  I also like to buy the nail stickers they have for kids too. They're temporary anyway but nothing seems to last long with them so I like to guy these for cheap and quick removal.
  11. Although I hate the thought of ending on an odd number, my last item is.. tableclothes.  When I'm planning birthday parties I like to buy my disposable items at the cheapest prices I can find. You can't beat plastic table clothes for a buck. Wad them up and throw them away after the party!

 
Splurges
 
There are places that I NEVER skimp on just because I enjoy the quality or taste of certain brands. I know it sounds crazy but sometimes it really does matter!
  • I LOVE Tide Pods.. They are expensive but I know exactly how many loads of laundry I have left to do, plus it's easy for the kids to help out since I don't have to worry about waste when they add the pods!
  • I'll always buy Dawn. I've yet to find a product that cuts grease quite like Dawn.
  • Any generic Oreo I've ever tried tasted like shit. No comparison.
  • I'll spend the extra cash on Glad Forceflex Odor Sheild. I love the fact that they don't break easily and Tyler likes that they add a little fresh scent to the kitchen.
  • Toilet paper.. although I'm not brand specific, I make sure I purchase something 'soft' and easy on the behind. No one likes John Wayne TP.
 
John Wayne toilet paper; it's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take shit off of anybody! 

Comments

Popular Posts