OMG, I hate you Pinterest.

Pinterest and I have a love/hate relationship. I could spend hours pinning, loving, and organizing things by category. Last week I got it in my head that I was going to try my hand at a few DIY projects. What better place to start than my plain kitchen, right? :)

Before my family moved into our house, our kitchen was a bare shell. A year later, there are knick-knacks on the counter and curtains on the windows but nothing more. I'd love to give my cabinets a facelift and a nice backsplash and, of course, add a little color to the walls. I thought to myself though, I should start small. Well, my poor dining room table was sacrificed. It's about 4-5 years old and not really of good quality. We've nicked, scratched, and chipped it.
Here is my "pinspiration"...


 
 
My table started out a little darker than this one. But, in true fashion, I forgot to take a "before" picture but I took some "during" shots. I sanded the shit out of this thing and came to the conclusion that I'd done enough, that the wood will finally take paint. I begin painting with the help of Harleigh and Abby. The first coat I say is just a base so I let them paint the way they feel comfortable. As I'm brushing on the antique white color we chose, I noticed that the paint appears to be just sitting on the surface of the wood. Gasp. Will I have to remove the paint and sand more? I'm sure the first time someone brushes against the leg of the table, the paint will peel off in a solid sheet.
 

 
 
Do I say F it and paint on? Do I strip the paint, sand, and start again? I can't let my husband see this fail! It would make him giddy inside to see another one of my projects go under. Must. Make. It. Work.  I'm painting another coat tonight. F it.

Then onto the chairs which have to be stripped, sanded, and reupholstered. Ugh. I hate you, Pinterest! Who ever tagged this project as a "simple" one was a lying bitch.

Comments

Popular Posts