20 Gifts for the Child Who Thinks She's a Teen ;)

My oldest daughter, Harleigh, is 8 years old but believes she is 13 just like most young girls her age. Right now her hobbies are watching movies, writing stories and in journals, and listening/dancing to music. Her favorite things include watching musicals/plays, having family game nights, and singing way too loud. She loves wearing yoga pants and hoodies- basic black leggings and bright colored tops. She shows limited interest in toys- no barbies or baby dolls. Harleigh is particular about her belongs- she knows where everything is and likes things just-so.

I started out thinking that shopping for her for Christmas would be difficult. There were so many pretty, girly outfits and cool, new toys that I would've loved to buy but I just couldn't see her utilizing or getting enjoyment out of. I sat down and really thought about what kind of kid she was and it came to me- she's JUST LIKE ME. I'm simple, a crafter at heart, and love any kind of music. This will be a piece of cake!

And since I've found so much enjoyment out of shopping for her, I've decided to share my top ten gift ideas just in case you might be interested too!

1. Journals- this is an obvious one. She spends so much time doodling and writing in basic notebooks, how cool would it be to find a special one in her favorite colors with her initial on the outside? Check out  these journals from Justice! They are on clearance right now and just under $8.











2. Craft kits- My crafty kid can spend hours on making a new project and she loves to share with friends so a perfect gift for her are these cool friendship bracelet kits at Wal-Mart under $15.

3. Sewing Machine- At her age, I want to encourage her creativity but not make things too complicated that she can't enjoy them so I spotted this awesome no-sew sewing machine. It's out of stock online but was available in our local Wal-Mart. I quickly snatched it up for $31. I can't wait to watch her enjoy it.


4. Camera- My first thought was to get her a polaroid camera so that she could enjoy prints right away but after looking at the cost of film, I decided that my best bet was a point-n-shoot digital camera. After reading several reviews, I stopped on this SVP Aqua 5800 underwater digital camera. Cute colors and simple features and the added bonus of being waterproof for fun in the sun. If I were to make this purchase, I'm sure she'd enjoy capturing her memories. Total cost: $ 62







5. Age appropriate reading- Although I think that books written from her perspective like Dork Diaries would be a hit, I think the American Girl books would be right up her alley. I'm not talking about the books that accompany their overpriced dolls, but the advice and encouragement-style books they have available like The Awesomest and Randomest Book Ever for just under $7 on Amazon.com. It's fun and interesting ready for her and provides an activity also.

6. Classes/lessons: A friend suggested that I enroll her in a class that suited her likes...like a crafting or sewing class or maybe even a Cookies and Canvas class at a cost of $20. Interacting is so important for her and I just know she'd love some Mommy and Me time.

7. Memberships: I don't know why this didn't cross my mind before but she loves going to the zoo and having her own special pass would be a really an awesome treat!



8. Subscriptions; What child doesn't love to get their own mail? I've been looking into monthly magazine subscriptions but what's really caught my eye is the monthly box subscription for kids like these on CandiGirlClub.com. You can chose from Sporty, Bookworm, or Girly boxes and they receive a quarterly box especially for them with lots of fun items. You have to buy a membership first for $20 and then it just costs $22/quarter plus shipping. Not too shabby.

9. Music: As I sit here in the age of online digital music purchases, I still want to purchase her some music on CDs. I can purchase the latest audio CD version of Now That's What I Call Music online from Amazon for $11.88. It has tons of hits from today's music that she loves and it comes edited so no worries of bad words slipping in! It will get her moving for sure!

10. Gift cards- Under Armour best suits this girl's style and she loves the bright colors. Giving her a gift card to shop on her own is like giving her diamonds. She loves to make her own choices!

Comments

  1. Looks like you have put some thought into these ideas. I like them. Very creative

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts