Letter to the Selfie Queen

Hey! I'm talking to you. Take a break from your phone and listen.

You're on my radar. You and all of your self portraits. Posting upwards of 5 times a day freckling my time line with your self-centered narcissism. Looking all pouty and doe-eyed. Quoting lyrics from country songs and shit like they have anything to with your face and the pseudo grin you just posted. No filter. No makeup. Just me.

I have a few questions for you.. What's the purpose? Is it vanity? Are you seeking validation? I can hear it now..  Life is awesome and I'm so happy and I wanted to share with the world. Really? Sooo you took a picture of yourself?

While I'm bothered, I sort of applaud you. Here I am, untagging myself from unflattering photos and you're just letting it all shine for the digital world.  I don't think I'm a completely unfortunate looking person however, cameras are not my friend. Don't get me wrong, I've tried taking selfies. On days when my hair looks awesome or my eyelashes are looking extra fabulous, I'll try. But after I've spent 5-10 minutes taking and retaking those pictures, I get bored. I mean trying to find the perfect light and angle mixed with right smile is exhausting. You've got to have hella good dexterity and patience to hold your phone just-so to get that perfect shot. And let's not forget, you do all of  this while keeping your head high to avoid the dreaded double-chin- Uh-Mazing. You girl (or guy), must have some serious skill.

Here's the thing though, those of us with less confidence or just less interest in showing off to the world aren't jelly...nope, no jealousy here.  We're annoyed. And frankly, kinda bored with it.Where are your kids? Your husband? Are you behind the wheel? Are those your filthy clothes in the background?

Stop worrying about other people's perception of you, put the damn phone down, and share more of yourself than a camera snap!

BTW, if you think I'm talking about you, there is a good chance that subconsciously, you know you should stop. ;)

Thanks,

Elizabeth



Comments

Popular Posts