Don't you know what causes that?

We live in the generation of "that offends me". So, I thought I'd share what truly gets under my skin and why.  

Since becoming a mother to my fourth child,  I've been getting looks of confusion and sometimes pity.  People make comments about my family size like I have a horn growing from my forehead. And they get really interested when I tell them: yes, four girls. I know the average number of children per household in America is probably two, but we aren't raising our own softball team believe it or not (I get that a lot). Tyler gets even more comments than I do though. Most people like to talk about the amount of estrogen in our house or how he's outnumbered. Pretty obvious statements.  But the comment that gets me every time is:
Don't you know what causes that? 

I'm assuming the "that" they refer to is my children. And I know what you're thinking,  it's probably meant to be funny.  But it always catches me off guard. I'm not sure how to respond and by the time I do,  they're long gone probably thinking they made the joke of the day. I never know if the appropriate route is sarcasm or an awkward truthful response.  The real truth is,  you just asked me about my sex life in Wal-Mart. Isn't that strange? 

While it might sound funny in your head,  it's actually extremely awkward. It's even more weird when I happen to be with my mom or dad.  I mean,  my parents are not under the impression that their grandchildren were delivered by a stork. Shhhh... my parents don't know im a married consenting adult. Most of the time the most I can muster in those situations is a nervous laugh.  

A little tip: next time you meet someone with a larger family size try going with something a little simple like "You are blessed". That I am completely aware of and the appropriate response for me is simple "Yes,  I am! Thank you!"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts