Testing in Schools: HELP!

It's been a few days since I posted anything but today, something is really on my mind...There is so much talk of the importance of testing in our schools. I just wanted to share a personal story with everyone.

My oldest daughter, Harleigh, is eight. When she was little, Harleigh loved preschool with a passion, excelling far beyond what we expected. She loved her teachers and her work, her mind seemed to really just soak things in.. When she was old enough to begin Kindergarten, I was over the moon. Some parents mourn their children changing for fear of missing out on them being little but I was ecstatic to see her grow.

Harleigh began kindergarten at Hatfield Elementary. She had a wonderful teacher who seemed to love her classroom kids as much as her own children. She flew through kindergarten with no issues at all.

First grade came around and first semester seemed pretty breezy. She participated in Reading Recovery and she really enjoyed it. Second semester she began struggling with things a little at home on her nightly homework. Her classroom grades stayed up so she must've been getting it, right? Six weeks before first grade was up, the teacher expressed concern that Harleigh might not be ready to move on to second grade. She produced a copy of her report card showing all passing grades- more than passing really, A's. But also produced a review that she had given Harleigh that showed she was not meeting expectations or keeping up with the others in the classroom. I was dumbfounded really. How were her grades not reflecting this? Her teacher's explanation was that she was assisted in the classroom with her work, just like all the other students were. This made me angry. She was 'passing' Harleigh on paper but telling me that she was actually failing in a sense. Her teacher reassured me that she was going beyond measures to help. Harleigh was spending extra time in Reading Recovery and would often miss recess to spend one-on-one time with her. We left our meeting with her confused.

We put our full attention into Harleigh's work and working with her to understand just what her problem was. We found that while she could read fine, her reading was slow and she struggled to comprehend what she had read. She also became nervous and upset near test times. We spent the summer really focusing on her. She seemed to drastically improve.

The following fall, we enrolled Harleigh in Throop Elementary in second grade. She was fitted with a wonderful teacher, Danielle Kendall, who really, really put great effort into her education. We spoke pretty regularly about where Harleigh could improve and how we could help at home. Harleigh still showed some issues with comprehension and being nervous or anxious near testing but she improved dramatically with her teacher's instruction as well as the Reading Recovery staff at Throop.

At the end of second grade year, I was probably more nervous than Harleigh was. We dug through her backpack pulling out projects, drawings, practice work, and tests. She hid something behind her back and said, You're gonna be soooo proud, Mom. She produced a small yellow certificate that said she had passed second grade. She was beaming with pride. She knew she had worked hard and I was proud of her.

This year, Harleigh began third grade. I was estatic to find out she had been placed with Shari Perkins (she was teaching at Throop when I was in elementary school). Harleigh has struggled some throughout the year. I think I expected it. She has a lot on her plate in school right now. She puts in the work she needs to to get her through and it shows in her grades. She's currently an A/B student and that's perfectly alright with me.

After all that back story, here is my real issue. We're approaching a make or break time for Harleigh. She must take ISTEP and pass in order to advance onto fourth grade. Testing is something that sets her on edge and makes her fall apart. She struggles with being confined to a timed activity and is bothered by thinking if she misses this question, she could fail. The anxiety she experiences inhibits her ability to think clearly and answer to the best of her ability. ISTEP will not test her knowledge, rather it will test her nerve.

My daughter and many children like her who have worked so hard to just keep up with their classmates are about to be subjected to 9.5 (nonconsecutive) hours of testing. That's an excessive about of time for any child, gifted or otherwise. Our child's needs are being overlooked and too much importance is being placed on the child's performance. This is not our teacher's faults as most are fighting against testing requirements as much as parents are. Without the help of the educators Harleigh has come into contact with in the past two years, she would surely be behind but because she was blessed with having them in her life, she has excelled greatly. I'm afraid all of Harleigh's work and the work of those great helpers will go overlooked due to testing scores. It is not fair. Not fair to Harleigh. Not fair to other students. Not fair to her teachers. Not fair to her school.

Further information for thought... some of the highest paid professionals in our country are tested for their careers at comparable lengths of time that our children are being tested for entry into fourth grade...
MCAT (Medical College Admission Test- Doctor) :  5 hours
Indiana Bar Exam (Attorney): 12 hours
NCLEX (Nursing exam): Up to 6 hours
NAPLEX (Pharmacology exam): 1-2 hours



I am simultaneously writing a letter I plan to mail to my State and Congressional leaders. Will you do the same?

Here are their names and addresses:

Erin Houchin
200 W. Washington
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Email: s47@iga.in.gov

Steven Davisson
200 W. Washington
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Email: h73@iga.in.gov

Todd Young
279 Quartermaster Court
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

Daniel Coats
1650 Market Tower
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Joe Donnelly
207 West Colfax St.
South Bend, IN  46601-1601


Mike Pence
Office of the Governor
Statehouse
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2797
Email: mpence@gov.in.gov

Sue Ellspermann
200 West Washington St., Room 333
Indianapolis, IN 46204






Comments

  1. I'd never read one of your blog posts until today, when the title caught my eye as I scrolled through Facebook. Boy did I pick a good one to read! I'm always afraid of what parents will say about me because I know I'm a bit tough and give too much homework! :) Thanks for the kind words, and I totally agree with everything you have to say here! The brightest kids in my class are often nearly in tears every time they take a test and it breaks my heart. Although I absolutely love my job, sometimes I wish I could've taught in the old days where there was more time to have fun and do more activities that teach life lessons. Keep up the good work with spreading the message though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts