My 50 Shades Review

Sooo.. Two and a half years ago, I picked up a book that everyone was reading. I couldn't put it down. Book one turned into book two and finally into three. Yes, I read the Fifty Shades series. It was horribly addicting among other things.

Well, Fifty Shades of Grey came to theaters this weekend. My aunt Lisa, Mom, and cousin Casey had purchased tickets online in advance and invited me along.  Honestly, I had mixed emotions about going. I was excited to see how much of the book they would put on screen and how accurate the characters would be but then another part of me was apprehensive. So many people had negative responses to the content of the books and I knew there would be those who would judge my interest in seeing it. Oh well.

Friday night, the four of us loaded into Lisa's vehicle and drove down to French Lick. We stopped off for some Dairy Queen and then made our way to the theater. I was surprised to see a line of people waiting outside the theater entrance. Women. Men. Married. Single. Old. Young. Couples. Friends. Even church ladies (yes, I saw you). All gathered for the very same reason as us.

We hurried into the theater once the doors were open to secure the best seats..the center row of the theater.. the one with no seats directly in front of them. We had popcorn, candies, and pop. Mom sat on my left, and Casey on my right. Lisa sat on the other side of mom.

To start off.. I wasn't super impressed by the actor picked to play Christian. His eyes were piercing and his mouth was beautiful, but I wanted him to be more muscular.  Since seeing the movie, I've heard people say that they thought his acting was poor- that he felt super scripted. The only thing I can say to this is.. Christian was suppose to be a little uptight and distant. I think it worked. Although I will agree, there were a few things he said that sounded like he read them directly from a cue-card.

Anna was sweet and vulnerable but oddly a little more naive than I expected. Anna and Christian's chemistry on screen was hit or miss. But I will say that I was glad to see that most erotic scenes from the book were left out of the movie. While welts and bruises read well on the pages of a book, causing those injuries in heated passion would've been harder to translate onto the big screen.

I enjoyed the wit and humor shared between the characters and overall enjoyed the love story behind it all much more the missing erotic sex scenes.

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. If you're expecting the same goosebumps you got while reading the steamy pages, don't waste your time. But if you are open to a little less smut, press on.

Comments

Popular Posts