I. Just. Can't.

When my family is finally fed and the girls are bathed and settled for the evening, I curl up in front of the TV to unwind. My drug of choice is Food Network. I could watch episodes of Chopped, Pioneer Woman, and Guys Grocery Games for hours on end- and if you ask my husband he'll that say I do. I sit in front of the TV mindlessly absorbing recipes that I won't make and cooking techniques that I'll never master. There are evenings when I'm not even in front of the TV that I have the Food Network on for background noise. I'll fold laundry or cook dinner (HA!) listening to the sound of Giada De Laurentiis over-enunciating the Italian language. It's a simple, guilty pleasure for me. It's relaxing and an escape from everyday life.

Other people chose to spend their evenings catching up on the news. This is probably where I'm not like most people.  I don't like the news. The news has become a never-ending source of negativity. After spending just minutes watching it, I feel that my quality of life has been significantly spoiled. The stations are all saying the same things. They're reporting destruction, violence, drugs, anarchy, and impending doom. And lately, they're heaping a mound of election shit right on top of everything else. Listening to all of the talk of scandal, deception, and heartache is so emotionally taxing. It's just too much and I just can't watch.

I know there are a few of you out there saying that people like me are what's wrong with the world. That my disinterest in subjecting myself to the 'news' somehow says that don't care about the state of our nation or that I'm misinformed. So, I thought I'd share a couple reasons I avoid watching mainstream news...

1.  Being 'in the know' won't make me any happier. Listening to all of the bullshit has definitely affected me in a negative way. I'm 100% more cynical. I don't know the last thing that I heard or read on the news that made a positive impact on my life.

2.  I can't influence the outcome of the news. Getting myself worked into a puddle over the condition of our country will not change anything for anyone. It will only add more stress and worry to my already busy and complicated life.

3. I like protecting my children's innocence. I live with three children who are constantly absorbing everything around them. My daughters are all blissfully unaware of most scandals taking place in our country. I don't want them wrapped up in understanding adult matters. And honestly, I don't want them to be fearful of the real life monsters we have walking on this earth.




Comments

Popular Posts