Did That Just Happen?

Today, I'm laughing. Last week, I was not.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, I'd gone from admiration to frustration. I'd stared at Lynlie's sweet face as she nursed off and on for nearly two hours. She wasn't drowsy from eating and she was far from content. She had fussed and thrashed about for far too long. My sleep tank contained only fumes.

I'd done just about everything I could think of. The lights were low and the room was quiet so I thought, as a last-ditch effort, she needed another diaper change and to be swaddled.  I removed her sleep sack and placed her between my legs on my bed. I took her diaper off and began to wipe her behind. Just as I removed the wipe, she let out a fart from deep inside her belly. Just one single POOF. It sounded harmless but what I saw was not! Bright yellow poop shot out of her behind! It took me a second to get my brain to acclimate to what had just happened. I flipped on the lamp next to my bed so I could see. Seedy poop covered my clothes, sheets, pillows, and headboard. Panic set in.

Tyler laid sleeping peacefully next me. I tapped him on the arm and told him to get up, we needed to change the sheets. As I tried to gather myself and stave off the tears, he fumbled in our dresser drawers looking for a clean set of sheets. Sleepily he said to me.. "Well, have you learned a lesson here?"

Before I could even form a sentence, my eyes glazed over. I was covered in shit, exhausted and defeated, and now, I was angry. I couldn't hold it back, the tears poured down my face and for a second I could picture myself scrambling across the bed to tear his face off. The level of crazy I was experiencing at that present moment was unreal. I shouted some expletives at him, laid Lynlie in her swing, and sobbed as we worked together to clean up the biohazard created by our beautiful daughter.

I stripped my clothes off in the bathroom, cleaned my body, and tried to compose myself. When I got back to the bedroom, Lynlie seemed much more content. Why wouldn't she be? Her bottom was clean and dry. Her belly was full (so to speak) and she was ready to rest. Finally. I sat with her on the couch, let her eat just a tiny bit more, and then watched her drift off to sleep. I was happy for the two hours of sleep that followed. Tomorrow was another day.




Comments

Popular Posts