Childhood Memories..

Although I'm only 30, I find myself reminiscing a lot about my childhood. I don't know if it's because I'm comparing my life to the lives of my children or if I'm just getting sentimental in my 'old age'  but I wanted to share something..

A lot of my favorite summer memories were made at Patoka Lake. My Aunt Donna and Uncle Richard owned a large Dutchmen 5th wheel camper. When I was little, it was so awesome. It was equipped to sleep six or so but we always managed to squeeze eight or more if needed. I remember being amazed that it had a small tv, a tiny bathroom, a full kitchen, and it was air conditioned.

Uncle Richard and Aunt Donna would haul the camper to Patoka and back into some of the nicest tree lined camping spots.They'd set up chairs and tables and build a fire. My parents, brother, and myself, would usually arrive after camp had been set up with our bikes in the back of our truck.

My parents would remind us to watch for traffic and stay within a certain number of camp spots and from there, we were free to ride our bikes until our legs gave out. Donna and Richard's kids were a few years older and sometimes they didn't go camping with us so my brother and I would ride around, scanning the area for kids our ages to play with. We'd turn on the water spigots and get a drink or splash around until someone would run us off. Sometimes I'd just ride my bike by myself around and around in circles singing loudly or just daydreaming. It was so freeing and something I never got tired of doing.

While we were riding and playing, the adults would sit around for hours just talking and enjoying each other's company. When we'd pass by our camp site, you could hear Richard's laugh above everyone else. They'd all smile and wave as we passed.

Usually Uncle Richard and Dad would start preparing dinner early in the day, cooking chicken or red meat on Richard's grill or smoker. My mom and Donna would work on side dishes. I can still remember eating barbecue chicken and corn on the cob and the taste of smoked brisket.

Settling down at the end of the day meant eating s'mores or watermelon and hanging around the campfire. Sometimes we'd catch lightning bugs and other times we'd just watch them. We were itchy and sweaty and a hot mess usually but we'd pile into the camper and fall asleep in the cool AC.

When morning came, we'd shower in the closest bath house and start the day over.

My parents and my aunt and uncle were best of friends. We shared so much in those short weekends and I truly miss that. I hope that my kids are making the same kind of memories that I have.


Comments

Popular Posts