First Day of School 2015

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I poked my head into the girls' room and said.. "Hey, ladies. First day of school. Better get up!"

Abby threw the covers off of her, showing her crazy bedhead. She bounded out of bed like an animal and immediately threw her jammies to the floor. She was shaking as she ripped the tags off of her new shirt. "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh!" she squealed. I'd never seen her so excited. Harleigh on the other hand, required an extra reminder. She sat up, in no hurry, stretching and looking around. I left them to finish getting ready.

Within just a few minutes, they were both at my side. Each one was brushing their own hair and smiling into the mirror.  "Do you need any help" I asked Harleigh. She shook her head, confident that she'd brushed out her own tangles. Abby smiled really cheesy and threw a headband in her hair. No one needed my help loading tooth paste onto their brushes either.

There we were, the three of us, standing in front of the mirror. Harleigh: staring intently at herself and her hair. Abby: brushing her teeth with toothpaste on her chin. And me: putting on my daily makeup. I paused for a second watching them and thought.. Ok, this is where I lose it. But I smiled instead.

These are things I know...

Harleigh is quiet and easy going. She thinks a lot but doesn't say much. You can see her wheels turning all the time but she's cautious when she speaks. She's a bit nervous when it comes to new things or changes but picks most things up with an ease that I wish I had. She's a lot like her dad. Harleigh will be a hard worker and a great student because she wants it so badly. (Pictured left)
 
Abby is over-the-top most days. She can be dramatic and sensitive but her mind is always working. She's got book smarts that come easy to her and her heart is so big. Some days are challenging for her though because as sensitive as she is, she cares about everyone else's feelings more. Abby will be a good friend and a great leader. (Pictured right)

And as I'm thinking these things to myself...
 
Harleigh taps me with the brush, "You do it better" she says. (Ahhh..she still needs me!) I pull her hair into a pony tail and we slip in a headband that matches her shirt and shoes. She seems pleased and throws her chrome book bag over her shoulder. Abby wipes away the toothpaste from her chin and smiles as big as she can in the mirror, checking her teeth.

We grab our things, tell Daddy bye, and head for the door. And then it happens. Abby slips on a wet stick and falls to the ground on all fours. Instant tears. (She needs me too!!) Back in the house we go to wipe mud from her knees and hands. Her new shoes have a little mud also and a small scuff. I say to her.. "Wouldn't be a first day without a fall!" She laughs. Crisis averted.

Once we got to school, my nervous fourth grader asks if I have time to walk them in. (Of course!) After a quick hug from Abby, Harleigh and I dropped her off at her classroom. Harleigh shook her hand lose from mine just feet from her own classroom door. She told me bye under her breath and slipped into her room...

Comments

Popular Posts